Friday, March 21, 2014

Let the Games begin

This week was a revisit to a topic we had done in CSC108, sorting. We learned two new sorts, quick sort and merge sort, on top of the three (bubble, insertion, selection) that we have already looked at. The thing I enjoy most about this topic is when Dan runs all the different algorithms with a really big list of elements. It kind of reminds me of the Olympic, where it’s a race to see who finishes first. Imagine that! Sorting algorithms as an Olympic sport : 


and the winner is ….. Insertion Sort !!!!!! Folks at home, the crowd here at the Olympic stadium has gone wild!!! What an UPSET! I guess that O(n2) efficiency does win sometimes. Who would have known!”



(above is a picture of the Canadian womens hockey team right after they beat the USA at Sochi)

Another notable thing that occurred this week is that I made a “Slogs I Like” list. It gives me joy to know that my posts somehow lead to an enjoyable read for someone.
So I would like to thank berkelycolortran for making my week!
(above is a picture of a berkely colortran)
On a side note: I do recommend anyone that is reading this post to check out berkelycolortran‘s slog. It is very informative, organized and it is easy to read.

Now to everyone writing the test this coming Wednesday:
I know studying is probably the last thing you want to do this weekend BUT, 
study long and hard, and don’t forget to take breaks once in a while! 
(above is an animated picture of a girl studying for a test and smoke is coming out of her head and she is saying she "cant concentrate", the picture caption says "Studying, They Can't even make studying Fun in animes")





It’s the last computer science test we will have before the final exam … 
YOU CAN DO IT !!!


(on the right is an animated picutre of a girl with a determined look on her face and a headband that says "Do Your Best!")



2 comments:

  1. You couldn't have done me a higher honour than posting that picture of my namesake. <3.

    Nice Olympic race thingy. And appropriate since I'm still trying to figure out when insertion sort could be faster (Dan said that Python's built-in sort switches sort types sometimes because they're more efficient in different cases, and that sometimes insertion sort wins). Imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you liked the picture ^^

    Yes the reference to the Olympic race made it a lot easier for me to understand sorts.

    ReplyDelete